You know that feeling when you have a food craving that wont seem to go away until it is fulfilled? I've been craving some gooey, chewy chocolate chip cookies for a few weeks now. Stores just don't sell the gooey ones—and crunchy ones just aren't the same. So I decided to make my own.
Recipe: Homemade Gooey, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (that's 180°C or gas mark 4 for you English folks).
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla until completely incorporated.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions; scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Either grease cookie sheets or cover in parchment paper.
- Drop 1 tablespoon sized balls onto cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. These cookies will spread!
- Bake 8-10 minutes in preheated oven. DO NOT bake more than 10 minutes. Warning: when you remove the cookies from the oven, they wont look done. Don't worry about that...take them out anyway.
- Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet (by this point they will look done!) and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you are impatient and try to eat them before they are cool (we’ve all been this person!), the cookies will fall apart and they will seem underdone. Patience is a virtue!