Sine Cera.

Well, today is the last day of 2009. This year has seriously FLOWN by. About a week ago, I had the intention of posting a blog about how I no longer believe in New Year's Resolutions. But after Evan Wickham's message last night at church, I have changed my mind.

Evan Wickham talked about the origin of our English word "sincere." It comes from two Greek words "sine cera" meaning "without wax." Back in the old days, crooks would take broken pots and piece them back together using wax. Then they would sell them for full price to oblivious customers. When the sun would come up, the wax would melt and the pots would fall apart again.

Evan used this analogy for our lives as believers. We are the pots and God is the potter. As pots, we want to be sincere and without wax, for if we are "crackpots" [hahaha Evan is hilarious!] our wax will show when we are held up to the Son.

So here is my New Year's Resolution. I desire to be sincere—in everything.

First and foremost, in my faith. I want to live a life that is completely unhypocritical. I want people to know that I am a Christian, even if their interaction with me is minimal. And that brings me to the second thing. I want to be sincere in my friendships. I have realized that the overflow of technology in this day and age causes a lot of friendships to be superficial and surface level. I am over that. I want my friendships to be real.

Unhypocritical. Genuine. Real. Sincere.

"We are not bound to say all we think but we are bound not even to look what we do not think."
-George MacDonald on sincerity

This entry was posted on Dec 31, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

One Response to “ Sine Cera. ”

Yvonne said...

1 "word"

UGH!!!!

Ok maybe not 1 word. God is teaching everyone this at the same time!

Leave a Reply