Firstfruits.

Excerpt from Jon Acuff's "The Trouble With Fruit":

Here is what Proverbs 3:9 says:
“Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops”
That word, “firstfruits” is a powerful one. We’re not called to give God the last scraps of our fruit, the remainder, but rather the “firstfruits.” Now clearly, there are financial ramifications to that verse, but what if it’s bigger than that? What if we’re called to give:
The firstfruits of our time.
The firstfruits of our creativity.
The firstfruits of our focus.
The firstfruits of our energy.
The firstfruits of our love.
Can you imagine what church would be like if members gave the firstfruits of their creativity to the Lord? We complain that the church is cheesy sometimes. Of course it is, we’ve been feeding it rotten fruit.
Can you imagine what church would be like if we gave the firstfruits of our love? We like to take shots at the church for being unloving and judgmental. Of course it is, we’ve been feeding it rotten fruit.
Can you imagine what it would be like for your life if you gave God the firstfruits of your time? I can’t because all too often I’ve given him rotten fruit. But I’m trying to change that and I’ve already learned something new in the process.
When I give God my firstfruits in the morning, when I start the day with him, it’s like putting on 3D glasses. The rest of the day looks different. I can see his hand more clearly, hear his voice louder, and feel his touch closer.
I’m not perfect at the firstfruits concept. At heart, this is an “I’m failing, but don’t want to” post. But with grace and hope, I’m working on being more deliberate with my firstfruits.
Let’s stop giving God our last fruits.

This entry was posted on Jan 22, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

Leave a Reply